Re: 16v vs. 8v

At 03:57 PM 11/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO START A FLAME WAR!!!!
>
>My buddy has an 85 8v GTI.  When he floors it in second from a slow speed he
>can chirp his tires.  I can't.  When we race, he beats me off the line, but
>by the time I'm at about 6000 in second I'm passing him.  Mind you his car
>is in rough shape and he isn't worried about brutalizing the tranny, while I
>won't give it a rough start as my tranny is making funny noises right now.
>
>Is this about how the two engines should compare?

Right. This is a good demo for how they do compare. It also depends on how
much of a difference in power as to being able to see the difference.
The 8V usually kills 16V's off the line. 16V's have all their power at the
top end of the RPM band and will rev to the moon!

>Will I hurt my transmission by slipping the clutch to get a quick start?

Nope. It will put a little more wear on the clutch but nothing id worry
about. its when you do high reving and loooooong clutch slips is when you
abuse the clutch. The tranny is bulletproof!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and