Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

At 04:07 AM 11/5/96 +0500, you wrote:

>>> Id like to see that, Todd!!
>>
>>115 in third does sound awful beefy
>
>Like the man said, he has a tall ratio custom gearbox.  His third gear is
>probably the equivalent of our 4th, which comes quite close to 115.  I think
>Shawn's comment was regarding Todd's claim of 148mph, not the 3rd gear
>speed.  I am a little bit skeptical myself, but with the right motor, the
>right tranny, and an awfully light car, anything is possible.  Why would he
>lie, Shawn?  I see no reason.  The man has a G60 in a GTi!  With that in
>mind, just imagine what he's got in the 'rocco!  148?  I believe it.

Well Chris, I wasnt implying that he was telling a falsehood about the top
speed. I have hit 148 just yesterday running with a new Toyota Supra, twin
Turbo. Yes, it was on a hill and yes, I was drafting him. I have the tall
tranny that would give me a top speed of 168 mph at redline in 5th gear.
When we stopped for fuel in Barstow, he told me he didnt think my little 4
banger could go that fast. I was suprised to hear THAT from a Supra owner!
Anyways, my comment of "Id like to see that, Todd" wasnt a challenge to
prove or disprove it, id just like to see a rocco do those kind of speeds
unasisted by gravity or vacume.
Id also like to see his car, both of them!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and