Re: 16v vs. 8v

> My buddy has an 85 8v GTI.  When he floors it in second from a slow speed he
> can chirp his tires.  I can't.  When we race, he beats me off the line, but
> by the time I'm at about 6000 in second I'm passing him.  Mind you his car
> is in rough shape and he isn't worried about brutalizing the tranny, while I
> won't give it a rough start as my tranny is making funny noises right now.
>
> Is this about how the two engines should compare?

I have had both stock and modified 8v and 16vs. A stock 8v will be a stock
16v of the line about every time. The truth is the the stock 16v engine
makes less horsepower than the 8v below about 4500 rpm, at that range
those two valves start pumping some major air compared to the one large
one in the 8v's. It does have a lot also to do with turbulence, the more
swirl or turbulence in the combustion chamber the more complete the
ignition of the gas, and the 8v makes more turbulence at lower air speeds
than the 16v.

Shikaroka
tjarrett@olie.wvitcoe.wvnet.edu

82 Scirocco 16v (highly modified)