16v vs. 8v

THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO START A FLAME WAR!!!!

My buddy has an 85 8v GTI.  When he floors it in second from a slow speed he
can chirp his tires.  I can't.  When we race, he beats me off the line, but
by the time I'm at about 6000 in second I'm passing him.  Mind you his car
is in rough shape and he isn't worried about brutalizing the tranny, while I
won't give it a rough start as my tranny is making funny noises right now.

Is this about how the two engines should compare?

Will I hurt my transmission by slipping the clutch to get a quick start?

Brandon Sommerville

"And then I says, tell me I'm wrong! And she says, I can't baby, 'cause
you're not!"
 - The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight