Re: Starter Shot!!

At 12:23 PM 11/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Yes, the 16v starter is different than the 8v starter, but I have had a
>regular and a lot cheaper 8v starter on my 16v engine for over a year now,
>without a bit of trouble.  I also have a battery that was made for the
>Diesal Rabbit, which does have more than adequate cranking power, it is a
>little bigger but fits just fine,

Officially (according to Bosch) the '86 and '87 16V came with the
same starter as all the 8V cars, a .95 KW unit. Some '88 16V cars
came with a 1.0 KW unit. That's not much of a difference in cranking
power, a good healthy battery will make much more of a difference.

I have also used diesel batteries in my gas VW's for years, they are
a bit heavier but fit fine.

Mark
Adirondack Auto Brokers
"Your VW/Porsche Parts Source"