A1 headlights, again

Nope its's not the fuses.  I do have the bently for the car, I have
been through the "electrical system" time and time again and there is
not even a troubleshooting sections for problems with the headlights.
....If I hold the headlights switch down both the headlights and the
dims come on and even the interior light indicator for the headlights
comes on but as soon as I release everything goes out.  If the fuses
were blown that stuff would not come on.  There is deffinatly current
getting to the right places but it is not remaining there once the
dims circuit is cut off.  Perhaps a bad ground?  Where would I
troubleshoot the ground?
                          Jay

VW Scirocco 1988 16v
VW Scirocco 1980