Stalling and power steering??

Ok heres the prob when i start up my car and start cutting the wheel to
reverse out of my driveway (im in gear) i often stall.  I think it has
somthing to do with the fact that I have power steering and an unstable idle.
 For instance when i pull up to a stop sign my idle usually goes up to like
1500 the drops dangeriously low (all the lights flash on and off for an
instant...)
Is this a prob with the idle flow stabilizer valve thing?
Its just annoying cause at night i was going down a hill in neutral and i
stalled half was down.  Loosing your lights sucks at night =)  Anyway whats
the solution to this? Anyone know?