Re: Cold Weather Start

At 05:18 PM 31/10/96 -0600, you wrote:

>Hey All!
>
>Now that cold's startin' to set in up here, I've run into a problem that's
>probably been run through before by you guys. I checked a couple Web sites,
>but couldn't find anything...
>
>'87 16v...*Heinous* cold start problem!! It literally gets worse as the
>temperature gets colder (and the longer the time between starts). I went
>out yesterday after work (9.5 hours of being parked), and it took almost 10
>minutes of on-and-off cranking to get it to turn over  and start. When it
>finally did start, it died when I engaged in reverse. Restarted after a
>couple of tires, and then had no problems.
>
>This morning after 12 hours in a garage, it took just a couple of tries to
>start, but still took some work to do.
>
>Any thoughts?? ( yes, I am pretty car illiterate, but that's one of the
>reasons I sub to this list!!  >;->  )
>
>rich

Autotech has a 'heavy duty alternator wire' kit for about $20.  Apparently
the stock VW wires are really thin and rust easily.  My mechanic replaced
some wires, I'm not sure which, but I think it was a ground, and now the car
starts fairly easily.  Started first shot this morning after being outside
at near zero temps.  That'd be about 32 degrees for you metrically
challenged individuals.  ;)

Brandon Sommerville

"And then I says, tell me I'm wrong! And she says, I can't baby, 'cause
you're not!"
 - The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight