Baby needs new shoes...

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my 16v Scirocco.  I wanted to lower
my car, then I found out that the guy who owned it before me put 215/60 R14
tires on the back, so in order to lower it I have to get smaller rear tires.
My stock wheels are steel (I guess a previous owner switched them for the
teardrops), so I figured I'd put on a used set of Rabbit GTI rims (I like
the 14 spoke look, and my wife hates the teardrops).

On to my question.  What sort of tires do you recommend?  My stock tires are
185/60R14s, H with an M+S rating.  I'll keep these ones for snow driving,
but I want something special.  Any ideas as to what is a good tire and what
to stay away from?

Thanks in advance...

Brandon Sommerville
87 Scirocco 16v