WAS: Alive but whining NOW: Mixed year car exhaust

On 9/11/07, Jacob Hawes <gr8hunter1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I figured out the rattle is the dead cat rattling around in its can.
> Since the noise is a bit bothersome I've decided to replace it and
> possibly the rest of the exhaust too. I just cant figure out what to buy
> as far as header downpipe and cat go that fits a 1.8 8v with a 1980
> body. I'll be getting it from TT just to have an excuse to drive 50min
> each way of back roads.
>
> Basically I know nothing about the difference between aluminized and
> stainless or what the available mufflers sound like. I'm going for quiet
> and unassuming, not HEAR I AM WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!!

Jacob,

Stainless systems are supposed to last much longer, but I'm not 100%
convinced that's the case (at least with TT stuff).  The TT stainless
exhaust that was on the wrecked 16v I bought has a bunch of corrosion
on the welds, and there are not just one, but several cracks (at the
welds as well).  It almost looks like they didn't use SS welding
wire/rod.  They also use crappy 409 stainless, judging by the amount
of corrosion on the piping itself.   The pipes will never rust through
however (unlike aluminized steel), but the rusty and cracked welds
have changed my opinion on TT's exhaust systems.

If you're looking for quiet, spend the extra few bucks on a Borla.
With a cat the exhaust is too quiet in my opinion, and even without
one you won't draw any undue attention from johnny law...

Later,

Mark.
75
82