[OT] where were you 9/11?

Thinking about the job I had going to Canada reminded me of 2001 and
hence what my day was like when the towers fell.  I know half of you
hate me and are afraid to respond despite being grown men but I thought
this might be interesting since the world changed.  Not political, just
real life story sharing depending on your time zone or location.

I listened to the initial reports as I got ready for work at 8 am.  The
second plane hit just as I and the ex-gf were about to go out the door
to our jobs so I listened to the radio on my 20 minute commute.

My employer had recently completed a brand new global headquarters and I
was lucky enough to have a nouveau riche Henry Miller cubicle there
temporarily.  There were multiple conference rooms but the main one in
our wing (Science & Technology) had room for 60 and all mod cons as far
as projection TV and buzz-down screen.

We all gathered and watched as the drama collapsed on CNN.  The VP was
there right next to us lowly technicians and nobody said much of
anything.  "It looks like a movie," I blurted with regret (but then I
regret everything I say.)

Tuesday was my team's weekly 10 am conference call with Switzerland and
I found my supervisor in a small room blabbing about nothing.  I told
him the latest by drawing crumbling buildings on the whiteboard and he
shrugged it off, muted the phone, and said he would watch it on tv that
night.  The Swiss were largely unaware of the magnitude of events and at
the end of their day, just wanting to go home.

Luckily I had planned to take the afternoon off to go sailing with my
buddies.  Work didn't seem doable by lunch and the ones who shrugged it
off seemed even more surreal than the events themselves.  I got back in
the car and went home.  My one friend was ready, he had the day off from
his fish delivery job so we went to the slacker den of the other and
found him sitting amongst cheeto bags and beer bottles watching tv.

Got him in the car and headed south an hour to the boat.  We declared a
radio moratorium halfway down and sailed the day away, the only boat on
the lake, with our US flag flapping in a nice breeze.  Checked in at the
smalltown bar that night and found some very angry locals.  Went home
and crashed.  The end.