Thinking about buying a rocco 16v for a track car

<snip Doc Wyte>
Found one locally that has some promise.  However it's a sunroof car and the
sunroof is currently taped shut.

<more snip>

Any thoughts?

<end snip>

Define track car.  Are we talking an otherwise street legal car that you'll
use for the occasional HPDE/autocross or a trailered car that's been
maximized within the guidelines for a class of a race series (e.g. SCCA, 1/4
mile, etc.)?   If it's the first, it could be good fun, although you'll have
to come to terms with being out powered at an HPDE.  If it's the second, I'm
speculating, but would guess that a Scirocco could be a poor choice.
Depending on class guidelines, you could be going up against newer 16v four
bangers which will have a tech advantage (e.g. newer chassis, better FI,
LSD, etc.).  Also, just thinking about the mantra of "speed costs money, how
fast do you want to go?", go fast parts are harder to come by and more
expensive for a Scirocco compared to something like an A1 Rabbit or A2 Golf
(keeping it in the VW family).  Neither are as exciting to look at or own,
but would be cheaper to buy and maintain.  Overall, if you're just getting
started, I think a Scirocco would work well, because the weakest part of any
car will be the part that connects the seat and the steering wheel (at
least, that's the weakest part in my car).  But if you're experienced and
are looking to compete at top levels, I'm not convinced it's the right tool.

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v

Get a free email account with anti spam protection.
http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/2