2L 16v engine work ok with (base) CIS?

On 10/9/07, C Boyko <roccit_53@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Told ya, October is alternator month. I don't have a bracket for ya, but I
> could take a pic of what's done to my 16V, which had AC in its first life
> and no longer does. Not sure which variant it most resembles, but I'm good
> and sick of alternator belts, "tightening" mine has involved welding,
> cutting, removal of the washer reservoir and a very delicate incision in
> the inner metal shield on the timing belt, while avoiding the belt and fuel
> lines. But there's a belt on the car again now. Not brave enough to start
> the car to see if it tosses the thing at the moment, tomorrow maybe.
> Cathy

I've done some digging tonight on the serpentine option that Jeff
mentioned (thanks for the link!) and I have a feeling I can make the
parts I have lying around work.  I have an extra early euro TDI
bracket w/ tensioner and matching alternator.  I'm going to check out
whether or not I can make these parts work tomorrow.  The early TDI's
use the older bolt-on waterpump, so I believe all I may have to do is
space out the waterpump pulley (and possibly alt and/or pulley).  I
*should* also have an ABA crank and water pump pulley in my
pile-o-parts.  Looks like I might be able to piece together a
next-to-free serpentine setup!   The next time someone asks me all
funny-like why I have hoarded boxes upon boxes of seemingly useless
auto parts over the years I can tell them....  ahh nevermind, I'll
probably get all pissy and tell them to mind their own damn
business...

I think I should name my pile-o-parts.  Earl sounds good...  I love
Earl...  Earl needs to learn some organization skills though...  Earl
is out of fucking control...  Lazy bastard...

Later,

Mark.
75
82