Power Blocks

Chris,

   I would stay away from stuff like that with "gaudy chrome shells
and LED spiders" and such.  I mean, to a large extent a block of metal
is a block of metal and it'll do what you need it to do, but I think
you'll be a lot happier with something more robust.  I don't trust
crap like that - it's made more for homeboy to put on his honda.

   Try looking for RV and marine distribution blocks.  I remember when
I was trying to design a really stout electrical system for my rocc, I
spent a lot of time looking for exactly this type of stuff.
Eventually I figured out to search for RV and Marine applications and
I got a lot better results.  More likely to be able to live in the
engine bay if that's something you want as well.  I don't know about
amperage, but I know there are several that will give you voltage.  I
don't think I would want to put an ammeter in line with the main
battery terminal anyways.  It'll just introduce a point of failure at
a REALLY inopportune spot.  Now if you found something that measures
it by inductance (i.e. without having to put the ammeter in line)
that'd be awesome, but you're probably not going to find that at a
consumer level.  If you really want amperage, I'd get a seriously
beefy, dedicated meter and use that.  And If it's inline I'd maybe try
to rig up a failsafe of some sort with a relay bypass.  I'd have to
think hard about that one, but I think it could be done...

-Grant-