Master Cylinder - WTF?

Ok, to answer some questions:

-The MC was not bench bled.  The car *is* sitting with
jackstands in the rear since I had to replace both rear
wheel cylinders.

-I don't have a part number for the old booster, just the
"new" one.  The dimensions looked the same to me when
sitting side-by-side.

-I do not have a power-bleeder.  Ron, I may take you up on
that if I still need it in a day or two.

What puzzles me is that it appears as if the MC is taking
fluid - the level in the reservoir will be down somewhat
after bleeding at each wheel.  The concern is I'm still
getting absolutely no pedal.

Thanks for the input everyone...   I'm wrapping up an axle
install on the 16v right now so that's hogged this
afternoon's wrenching time.  I might get a couple minutes
to mess with the '81 again but otherwise, tomorrow.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S (Deiter)       '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!)  '88 Scirocco 16v
'96 Passat GLX Wagon          '56 Cessna 172

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.