Suspension question

OK.................flame on!!  I have a real dumb question........How would I know if my suspension is shot or just needs to be replaced?

Just recently I've been hearing a "moaning/groaning" type sound coming from I think the front when driving slow.  It's hard to describe where it's coming from and the actual sound.  I know if I push down on the front bumper it just returns to it's original height.......should it spring a few times?

Sorry, for the question.

Karl