How to rebuild a 1.8? or rather what to re-build?

You're welcome! hehe...Insightful? Probably. Positive? Maybe not so much...but
you knew that.  :)

All I'm trying to say is that either way, you're going to spend some money and
in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that much more to go 2L. And if
you're going to spend your time and energy to rip an engine out, you might as
well do it right and avoid having to do the job multiple times, right? There's
a reason everyone raves about that night/day difference from a 1.8 to a 2L.

Either way, from what Peter says, that motor should be good to go if you're
really that strapped for cash...

Thank you to Brendan for catching my gaffe on missing the DP aspect. But, in
all honesty, you two should work out a payment plan if he's truly going to get
rid of that 3A. Having owned it myself, I would love the chance to have it back.

JT