OT: Looking for a new(er) ride

FWIW, I love my Forester.  Yes, I wish I had a GTi or Rabbit and wish I had
a Jetta diesel wagon even more.  My selection criteria placed equal
importance on three factors:
Small boat towing ability
Fuel economy
Cargo space (for a drumkit)

course) reliability.

The result: my 5 speed manual trans Forester does an excellent job of towing
my boat, carries my drums well, consistently returns 24-26 mpg (mostly 75-80
hwy driving, would be better at slower speeds) and is *outstanding* in rain
and snow.  I know it will be super reliable, it's easy to maintain and has a
simple, but purposeful interior.

There was a nice rebate available on the 2.5x "Sports," a base model with a
new nice extras, such as: upgraded radio with AUX jack, upgraded seats, auto
climate control, turbo style front spoiler; it was a mid year, a la
Wolfsburg edition.

I was intimidated by the VWs because I was concerned about reliability.  The
Subaru almost does everything *too* well; I think the VW would have been
more fun to drive.  I would likely have bought a Jetta diesel wagon if they
were available, although the new ones are pretty ugly, IMO.

But I do love the Forester.  I heard a diesel is on the horizon for Subaru.
my $0.02