Upper strut bars Rear and Front

Sure can't argue with BMcG's theory.
 The front strut bars (SB) have to clear the engine components, and in order to do so, must make several kinks.  Put one kink in a bar that must operate in compression or tension and the strength is reduced dramatically.  The front SB helps, don't get me wrong, but not nearly as much as it should/could.
I have seen some designs, for other cars mostly, that utilize a straight bar and "pivots" at the strut tops.  This is a much better design, but not generally available on the market for A1 cars.

larry
sandiego16v

Here is what I have to say about almost all the available cross braces
that go on the upper portion of our struts or shocks. The are NOT
big/strong enough to make a damn difference.