Question for the Tranny guru's

--- Cory Langford <Cory_Langford@bcit.ca> wrote:

> I need some opinions on building a tranny for the racer..
>
> Rules state that I can not modify the dif. external housing but that I can
> modify/change the dif.  So I figured a quaife would be in order.
>
> I have to keep the same gear ratios that were in the car when sold (so that
> means the FF trany set), but I am allowed to change the final drive.
>
> So what advantages/results would be had by changing the final drive on?
> What final drives would be available?

On...what?
Your choices are 3.94 and 3.67, also 4.25 (relatively rare, from an AVX code box).  Any can be
swapped - you'd need only the ring gear and pinion shaft.  Putting a 3.67 pinion shaft in an FF
might require a later model 5th gear cover since most were longer to support an extra bearing
housed in the cover.

> I have never torn apart a tranny so I am not even aware of what would be
> involved in changing the final drive (if done I would send it to a
> reputable shop to do it).

It's a full teardown.  I happen to know this guy who does them...  :)

Is it even possible to take parts from say a 4y
> or 9a and install them in the FF tranny to get the smaller final drive?

Yes - decide what F/D is what you want and it can be swapped.

HTH

Ron

Need Mail bonding?