O2x applications

This is my take on it.
The 020 started in 1975 and was last used in the A3 chassis till 1999 only ever coupled to a 4 cylinder engine.
The 02A started life in 1989 used in the Corrado and Passat and I presume all VR6 applications till 1999.
>From Peter:
"4 cyl 02A's bolt right up; G60, B3 16V, B4 ABA, and TDi's.:

Most, if not all B4 TDi's are 02A, but have an 02J style differential,
w/bolt-on CV flanges.

The VR6 02A/bell-housing will only bolt up to a VR6, but the gears are
supposed to be stronger, and the ring and pinion is better suited for a
turbo engine."

The 02C first appeared "in the US" in the Passat synchro in 1991 till 1993. It may have been used elsewhere that I'm not aware of.
It is essentially an 02A with a power takeoff for the rear differential.

The 02J appeared on the scene in 1999 and basically replaced the 02A and 020.
It is used, with various gear ratios, for all 4 cylinder, turbo 4 cylinder and VR6 applications.

The 02A, 02C and 02J are a family and use a lot of common internal components. They are cable shift and hydraulic clutch although there are some (European) exceptions to the hydraulic clutch.

02M is a 6 speed that came out around 2002 and is again a completely different design than the 020 or 02A/C/J with dual pinion shafts and therefore two final drive ratios.

After 2003 I have no idea!

HTH
Dan