Welding, How did people learn?

I actually learned in HS during my metal shop class, and then some in auto
shop too.
then after HS being a maintenance tech I did all kinds of welding on our
heat treatment fixtures.

practice practice practice.
I used to be pretty good, but now that i rarely weld my welds look like crap
again for a few minutes