Welding, How did people learn?

I took a class at Oakland Community College in Auburn Hills, MI about 8
years ago. It was an intro class that covered gas, arc, mig and tig welding.
We also did a little with plasma and gas cutting. It was a really good
overall class and covered the setup and operation of alot of machines. I
currently have a Millermatic 180 Mig welder and a really old Miller
Thunderbolt AC arc welder. I'd love to get a TIG but that's $$.  Dan is
right in that the general principles between gas and tig welding are close
but there are a few tricks to tig that gas doesn't have to deal with.

Hope this helps!

Andy