16v lifters

   I read in the Bentley that lifters have to be stored upside
  down.  Obviously none of these have been.  They have been installed under
  camshafts, if that makes a difference.

  I don't think a car sitting in a garage for a long period of time is what the Bentley means by "storing the lifters".  If the lifters are in an engine/head, I would no worry about that aspect of it.
   Are you quite certain that what you are hearing is, indeed, lifter noise???   There are several other things it could be.
   If it is a collapsed lifter, and you have sufficient oil pressure, just driving the car should restore the guilty lifter to its previous vigor.  A can of Rislone (or some similar product) may also be helpful if you have oil passages that are clogging up with gunk.

  larry
  sandiego16v
  Brian