16v lifters

OK, so what are the other things it could be?  I've put a new header on the
red car, so I was hoping it was an exhaust gasket leak, but it sounds so
much like a mechanical tick that I've managed to convince myself it isn't
that.  It is close to the distributor, but poking my head in there reveals
that it is definately coming from the top of the #4 cylinder.  What else
could it be?

I'll go get some Rislone, Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil and get it really
stinkin hot and see what happens.  I'm keeping names of people suggesting
this so you guys can chip in and send me a new head when it blows up.  :P

I drove the Silver car hoping that the sound would go away, but the
temperature light came on (turns out the water leak was bigger than I
thought) and it started making LOTS of noise, so I ended that experiment.
Haven't had the heart to compression check it yet.  ~cringe~

Thanks for the help, and keep it coming.

Brian