16v lifters

  Exhaust leak is always a good bet because it can sound exactly like a lifter tick.  A worn cam lobe can, too.  Light piston slap could sound like that.  Even a slight rod knock is more of a tick than a knock.

  Never trust your naked ears, they can deceive you....use a mechanics stethoscope if you want more accurate information.    Good luck.

  Does the ticking go away after the engine warms up to operating temperature??

  larry
  sandiego16v

  OK, so what are the other things it could be?  I've put a new header on the red car, so I was hoping it was an exhaust gasket leak, but it sounds so much like a mechanical tick that I've managed to convince myself it isn't that.  It is close to the distributor, but poking my head in there reveals that it is definately coming from the top of the #4 cylinder.  What else could it be?