Timing help

O.K., with cap on you have a left clip and a right clip holding it on.  #1
plug wire is always above left clip. Going clockwise from there, #3, #4, and
#2.  That's 8V, 16V is anticlockwise.

Camshaft lineup: the dot on the inside of the cam should line up with the
top of the valve cover.  You can cut a little arrow out of a pop can, drill
a hole in it, and place it underneath the front left valve cover nut and
multi washer thingy(cool tip from "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive."
Assume that the person who did the belt before had the cam sprocket off, and
put it back on backwards.  Unscrew the oil filler cap, shine a light in
there, and look for both of the cam lobes on that first cylinder to point
upwards.  If the sprockets on right the dot will be where it's supposed to
be.

I know the Bentley Bible says that the dot on the intermediate shaft should
line up with the groove in the crank pulley, but that is assuming that
nobody has ever removed the distributor before.  After you line up the
V-notch on the flywheel with the arrow in the transaxle case, and make sure
the cam lobes are pointing up, check to see that the rotor is pointing at
that #1 spot.

Use a timing light for fine tuning.

 If you're still dealing with points, I will gladly send you an electronic
unit, brain, and wiring.