Wireless Cities and Hotels [was Re: Last roader of the summer]

On 10:39 pm 09/06/06 "Marc Getty" <marc.getty@temple.edu> wrote:
> I've had nothing but great luck leaching free access from hotels.
> Anywhere from major cities to the two person town of Meziadin Lake, BC
> I've been able to acquire free access. While on road trips I'll just
> pull up in front of a motel, park, and browse away. Never have I run
> into trouble doing so. In July I spent nearly 4 hours in front of a
> hotel in Grand Junction, CO doing work without a single glitch, and
> this is from the first spot I tried to connect too!
>
> One thing that does suck is that many hotels only allow
> http/https/smtp/pop/imap traffic and nothing else. This makes VPNing to
> various places 'round the world impossible. Not sure why they would go
> to the trouble of blocking these other ports but they do so all the
> time.
>
> -Marc

Well, in true form, I was really looking forward to looking at videos and
all that other normal stuff that non-dialup users can do, and instead, I
spent a ton of time trying to get it to work. I'm really sick of the whole
"Your call is important to us" crap. I've done a LOT of it in the last
month or so, I needed (major) parts for my computer, then help to install
them, and then the phone itself was screwed up, so they send you off on a
wild goose chase to verify that your ISP/alarm company etc aren't lousing
things up, then that. And our phone is still fucked up. So I await the
opportunity to have Bell tell me how important I am to them, only to speak
to a lady in India who can't understand my problem. Yeah, ours just plain
wasn't hooking up, it wasn't a matter of things being blocked. Ah well,
back to dial up.
Cathy