I Broke Another... racing story

On 9/4/06, Allyn <amalventano1@tds.net> wrote:
> It's rather tight at the main stress point of the hub, and I wonder what those guys could have actually done to strengthen it?
>
> Ben, post pics, could ya?

Here's a pic of the hub Sean sheared last year:

<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/bustedhub.jpg>

I'll ask him the circumstances surrounding the failure tomorrow and
get back to the list...  He's had some pretty scary shit happen to
him.  On his first Scirocco (my old 83 winterbeater) he had the rear
beam break free of the mount on the passenger side at 75mph on a
freeway skyway bridge.  Amazingly enough the rear end shifted out a
couple feet, but the car still tracked fairly straight while he guided
it to a safe spot!   450,000km's driving in a rust belt will do that
to a car though...

Later,

Mark.
75