10.1" Calipers Question

From: "Brian Spinney" <vw_85roccoZ400@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:58 AM
Subject: 10.1" Calipers Question

The ones shown: http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Scirocco/Brake/43/2 look like the ones on my cars.

> I understand the calipers could have come off a few different car so my
> questions begin,
>
> 1.) Are the carries the same for all 10.1" calipers?  Or do they vary from
> model- model?

All 16V Scirocco carriers are the same. Golf, Jetta and Passat carriers are different according to ETKA.

> 2.)  If the calipers have been sitting for a year would I have to rebuild
> these before using again?

Not necessarily. I'd flush a little brake fluid through them and make sure the piston moves freely. (liittle air pressure in the port with a clamp or vise on it to make sure the piston doesn't escape! ;^)

> 3.)  What would be a good rotor & pad that isn't going to burn a hole in my
> pocket for a street / Auto-X car?

Mintex Redbox works pretty well for me. I don't think I'd bother with the cross drilled rotors, but inexpensive slotted ones seem worth a couple extra bucks.