bonrath strut bearings installed...I guess

When we were changing out the Strut Supports we were deciding whether we
should use the caps that came with the H&R Coilovers or not.  We assembled
it with them it didn't seem to allow the threaded shaft to extend through
the bearing as far as on my car.  Also it didn't seem to mate up to the
contact area on the bottom of the bearing.  So we took them out.  The top of
the spring doesn't seem to seat properly to the bottom of the flange portion
of the bearing, it tends to shift around under there thus the clunking
noise.  We tried looking at my car's setup but can't determine if the spring
caps are in there without taking it apart.  The bottom of mine seems to be
slightly different and holds the top of the spring firmly.  As I didn't put
them in I don't know.