bonrath strut bearings installed...I guess

hello everyone,

I'm not to thrilled to report i finally got around to putting on my bonrath
poly strut bearings.  reason being is when they went on the spring of my
coil overs, they never really "sat" correctly, and now i have reason to
believe that the spring is shifting on the the bearing plate.  there is 1 or
2 "clunks" heard when the wheel is cranked, and i proceed to take off, both
in reverse and forward.  this is NOT felt over bumps.  I just replaced the
ball joints about 2 weeks ago, and believe that the tie rods are still
good.  any ideas? were we supposed to use the spring retaining cup from the
stock bearings?  my dad's doesn't, and doesn't make said noise either.  oh
and one more complaint,  if you lift up on the fender of the car, it needs
to be pushed back down to its normal ride height.  is this also a part of
the problem???

--
The Punk

1986 2.0L 16v scirocco