Is the 1.8 16V really 1800 cc or is it a little less?

How about taking a stock 1.7L EN motor and getting .5mm oversize
pistons?
Using the handly engine displacement utility on Scirocco.org (which
would
have answered the orginal question by stating 1780.875), we can get a
displacment of 1737cc, which is nicely close to the 1750 max in the
targeted
class.

86.4mm stroke x (79.5mm stock bore + 0.5mm) 2nd oversize pistons of the
same compression ratio as stock which is 8.2:1.

It is interesting to note that merely increasing the bore size will
slightly
increase your compression ratio, purely unintentionally though,
unless it
is compensated for within the shape of  the replacement piston.

==Brett