4K vs. 2Y, not much difference?

No biggie Dan, I fell into a thinking trap as I was typing it
out...hence
my immediate conversational responses to myself saying, "wait, no,
that's not quite
correct either."

The reality is I previously stated, you have know what the torque
value as obviously
measured through the transmission at the rubber / road surface in
order to
know if shifting up at a particular RPM is advantagous or not.   As
you say, maximize
the power of your engine, what's your favorite unit of measure here?

I thought torque would be more appropriate to the transmission
discussion because
the HP output of the engine is always the same, but the torque at the
tire / road
changes from gear to gear at different RPMs (with final drive being
quite pivotal
to the discussion formerly at hand)

And this is (no longer?) relevant to the discussion because the
orginal question
pertained to what transmission is "better".  More torque is better to
the point of
tire slippage.  "Torque wins races" is not just a fun addage.  (hey,
the same is
true in reverse with regards to brakes, I love shooting at that one
too :-) )

Keeping 1-5th gears the same, attached to same engine, a 3.94
R&P makes more torque at the tires then a 3.67 - everywhere.  The
multiplier is
higher numerically, lower in ratio.  (this is for those in the crowd
that might not
be following along, Dan already knows all this obviously).

Ah, but does the lower maximum speed in a particular gear (due to
redline restrictions)
and higher RPMs bother the driver, and does the increased
acceleration due to the
higher torque output offset the lower overall speed when measuring
the time
it took to reach that speed?  And that's what I wanted to work out
again using
a vehical dynamics calculator tool.

The question here is, given that 1-5 gear set and one of those final
drives, is the
engine happy (and in turn, does this make the driver happy)?  You cannot
compute acceration over time in any gear unless you know the torque
input at
those RPMs (and weight of the car) - again, engine torque is one
input to
figuring out if the driver is going to be happy with their choice of
final drive
(trying to get back at the original question a bit).

We kind of got off on a tangent when I tried to express optimal shift
points using
far too simplistic language that is *not* related expressly to engine
torque,
but rather torque through the driveline to the edge of the wheel.
This translates
to the maximum *power* that the car makes as measured at the tires in
any
given gear.

As Dan said, power is a term expressly used to denote the effect of
the driveline
and is more accurate but it's connotation is not commonly
understood.  Torque
is more understood, but it takes qualifications to say where it's
being measured
at.

==Brett