From: Dan Bubb [mailto:jdbubb@verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 7:13 AM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: Re: 4K vs. 2Y, not much difference?

The difference in length of the pinion shafts is only due to the fact
that VW at some point used a needle bearing on the end of the pinion
shaft.
The needle bearing is no longer available although any other part in the
tranny is (to my knowledge).
Some pinion shafts weren't designed for the bearing, some 5th gear
housings didn't have the bearing or even a protrusion to house it.
Apparently it's superfluous.
All other linear spacing along the pinion shaft of bearing surfaces and
splines is identical.
If it matters you can get a 3.67 FD that will assemble with the "8V"
gear sets, but you cannot get a 3.94FD that will assemble with "16V"
gear sets. ("16V" being defined as the large input shaft trannies)
As far as Klaus, I'd suggest you hold off on modifying the tranny until
you've realized your power dreams. ;^)
I know two guys that have the power level you aspire to and have the
tallest gearing you can build in an 020 box that never feel the need for
tighter gearing.
Dan