4K vs. 2Y, not much difference?

I've missed virtually every post in this thread so far so forgive me if I'm
missing some specifics, but the FN (or like 3.89 wide-ratio box) is IMHO the
best setup for any N/A A1 VW; unless you're going to track it and then all bets
are off.

If your goal is a higher R&P w/ a .75 5th setup, why not start w/ the 4K? One
thing I remember from my conversations w/ Ron is that the teeth on the 3.89
are "less robust" than those on the 3.94 (at least I think that's how it
went...)

Also, the designation "8v 020 box" can't be used in your context - some A3
trannies, like my DFQ, came from an 8v but have the larger "16v-style" input
shaft.

HTH, JT