4K vs. 2Y, not much difference?

On 11/1/06, Rick Kellner <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> Jeff, thanks for the reply.  I am on the fence as to whether to stick
> with the stock 16V 020 (AGB,2Y) or opt for a 4K.  It will be mated up
> with a slightly built NA 2.0l 16v.  Most of my fun driving is on the
> twisty, rolling hills of Connecticut.  My commute to work is 15 miles on
> the highway and an occasional 90 mile trip to Boston and that is where
> the .75 set will come in.  So I have been looking for input as to
> whether to stick with the stock transaxle or opt for a 4k...

I presently have a 2Y w/ a .76 fifth gear swap in my 82 w/ a 2.0
ABA/JH/G-grind.  I absolutely love it.  I've tried many, many
different trannies in various Sciroccos over the last 15+ years and
it's my favorite by far.  While I like 4K's for track cars, the 2Y is
just a bit more practical for a daily driver (although the difference
between the two isn't huge).  It's a perfect stock close ratio tranny.
 I swapped in a .76 fifth because that's what I had lying around (as
well as a .71 set, but w/ the 3.67 fd that'd be a bit too tall), and
I'm very happy with the gearing.  While it's a very noticeable drop to
fifth, my 2.0 swap has more than enough torque to lug the car from
even as low as 2000 rpm...  I think you'll be very happy with a 2Y/AGB
w/ .75 fifth gear swap for your setup...

Mie too sentz...

Later,

Mark.
75