4K vs. 2Y, not much difference?

--- Rick Kellner <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> Finally, thanks for the tip on the 3.89 not being as robust as the 3.94,
> that really makes it a non starter for the 2.0l.  And, yes, the context
> I was using the '8v 020 box' is not correct, just thinking most A1s in
> my head.

OK Rick, you have found that I am in the minority in recommending a 3.67 for your setup!  The 4k
IS fun, no doubt - certainly worth a try.  Even if you don't like it, it'll be an easy box to sell
off.

Now, as far as the 3.89 vs. 3.94 - consider it a non-issue.  Technically, a 3.89 would be weaker,
but those weren't weak spots for these gearboxes anyway.  Unless you are using an LSD, it won't be
an issue, and even then I doubt it.

FWIW, weak spots are the ring gear rivets and 2nd gear, which I have seen with the teeth horribly
stripped, causing great damage elsewhere.  This is with seriously built engines, LSDs, big fat
sticky rubber, and high rev clutch dumps.  For example, I don't think Cathy has grenaded one of
hers and she drags a lot, I believe.

BTW, this winter, I really really do hope to rid myself of some of my extra stuff, and I pledge to
build a few gearboxes to do that.

HTH

Ron

(http://www.yahoo.com/preview)