From: Daun Yeagley [mailto:vwdaun@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 4:24 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: SPAM-LOW: Well crap (semi-long-ish)

I'm in the midst of tracing a nasty noise when making right-hand turns in
the 16v.  It sounds all the world like a bad bearing but it started very
suddenly a couple weeks ago.  In the process of searching for problems, it
was noticed that one ball joint had a bit of play.  No problem, I'll replace
both sides, they're probably due.

So this afternoon I get under the car to see how I want to tackle the job
and I started looking around at everything else.  Hmmm, CV grease on the
4-point bar, great, time for an inner passenger CV.  Oh yeah, and where's
the puddle of oil I get when parked coming from anyway....

I followed the (rather wide) trail of oil up the back of the 2.0 block, and
noticed to my great dismay that it stops at the head.

Soooo....    rather than jumping into ball joints, I think
I'm going to attack everything ahead of the firewall.  It's been bothering
me that the poor thing has been neglected for the last year (I think I've
run perhaps three or four tanks of fuel through it since last Cincy) so now
it's her turn for lots of TLC.  Gino got a lot last fall, the '86 just got
two months worth, now it's her turn.  This will be a good excuse to do some
much needed cleaning and detailing under the hood, something I've not done
much of for a couple years.

Perhaps I'll wait 'til just after Cincy to tear into it, especially since
dad's got his tractor in the pre-mo parking spot for long-term projects
while he does a clutch.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts - Ehrlich's
Law.