Well crap (semi-long-ish)

I'm in the midst of tracing a nasty noise when making
right-hand turns in the 16v.  It sounds all the world like
a bad bearing but it started very suddenly a couple weeks
ago.  In the process of searching for problems, it was
noticed that one ball joint had a bit of play.  No problem,
I'll replace both sides, they're probably due.

So this afternoon I get under the car to see how I want to
tackle the job and I started looking around at everything
else.  Hmmm, CV grease on the 4-point bar, great, time for
an inner passenger CV.  Oh yeah, and where's the puddle of
oil I get when parked coming from anyway....

I followed the (rather wide) trail of oil up the back of
the 2.0 block, and noticed to my great dismay that it stops
at the head.

Soooo....    rather than jumping into ball joints, I think
I'm going to attack everything ahead of the firewall.  It's
been bothering me that the poor thing has been neglected
for the last year (I think I've run perhaps three or four
tanks of fuel through it since last Cincy) so now it's her
turn for lots of TLC.  Gino got a lot last fall, the '86
just got two months worth, now it's her turn.  This will be
a good excuse to do some much needed cleaning and detailing
under the hood, something I've not done much of for a
couple years.

Perhaps I'll wait 'til just after Cincy to tear into it,
especially since dad's got his tractor in the pre-mo
parking spot for long-term projects while he does a clutch.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172