Well crap (semi-long-ish)

On 4:23:31 pm 05/12/06 Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm in the midst of tracing a nasty noise when making
> right-hand turns in the 16v.  It sounds all the world like
> a bad bearing but it started very suddenly a couple weeks
> ago.  In the process of searching for problems, it was
> noticed that one ball joint had a bit of play.  No problem,
> I'll replace both sides, they're probably due.
>
> So this afternoon I get under the car to see how I want to
> tackle the job and I started looking around at everything
> else.  Hmmm, CV grease on the 4-point bar, great, time for
> an inner passenger CV.  Oh yeah, and where's the puddle of
> oil I get when parked coming from anyway....
>
> I followed the (rather wide) trail of oil up the back of
> the 2.0 block, and noticed to my great dismay that it stops
> at the head.
>
> Soooo....    rather than jumping into ball joints, I think
> I'm going to attack everything ahead of the firewall.  It's
> been bothering me that the poor thing has been neglected
> for the last year (I think I've run perhaps three or four
> tanks of fuel through it since last Cincy) so now it's her
> turn for lots of TLC.  Gino got a lot last fall, the '86
> just got two months worth, now it's her turn.  This will be
> a good excuse to do some much needed cleaning and detailing
> under the hood, something I've not done much of for a
> couple years.
>
> Perhaps I'll wait 'til just after Cincy to tear into it,
> especially since dad's got his tractor in the pre-mo
> parking spot for long-term projects while he does a clutch.

Primo parking????WTF???For an axle?? You want for me to come down and help
ya? What have we done, like four together? It'd be like synchronized
swimming by this point. And if you're gonna do the ball joint, why not do
an axle too :)

As for the oil, I had a fairly significant dribble down the PS of the block
way back on the 16V, and it was actually coming from that oil temp sensor
on the DS/back of the head, it had cracked, and it was pouring out a good
deal of oil. And there was no reason for it to do so, it'd been undisturbed
for about 2 years before it started to leak. (a minute, por favor, the kid
needs something)...(back)

I was worried when it I removed it and only got part of it, but the other
piece came out easily too, thankfully. So I'd check that, oil would run
across the seam at the base of the head, then dribble across the pan and
eventually showed up way over under the front PS on the floor.

ANyway, sorry to hear she's being a bad car, but shit Daun, she/he's a 16V,
and you have not spoiled her/him enough, clearly. What did you expect.
Hell, does this car even have a name???? And you need to go out and rip
around in her/him, so get her/him happy....and you'll be happy!
Cathy