axle replacement 86 jetta

Well, hopefully you are trying to remove the single bolt that holds the
balljoint to the bearing housing. If that is the case, there is no need to
mark anything.  Another way to get the same result without needing another
socket is to pull the front control arm bolt.  With that out(and the design
of the rear mount) it will swing out just as well as removing the balljoint
bolt.  After the first few times removing the balljoint bolt on an old GTI
I had, I started using this method which I actually prefered.

John