My fast

  Really?
  So their vision statement contains words like "ingrained", "pop culture",  "catchy jingles"?
   Do you maintain that they engage in this distasteful "business" of selling cars solely to finance their goal of becoming famous?

 Economics 101 is down the hall, second door on the left....

 No car company likes turning off ANY of their market...even the old fogey demo.  VW gave up on the "affordable car for the young/penniless" long ago.  They have been publically attesting to this for several years....note the Phaeton.  Note the absence of $16,000 Golfs.  VW wants to go upscale, they've said so.  Upscale doesn't mean 18-year olds.  It means selling to the people with the money and the decision-making power; the old folks.  They do this by appearing to be young/hip/cool.
  There is an old auto-business axiom; you can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man.   By appearing to have built the GTI just for the very young/immature market...and the adds glorify immaturity, as you said....they think they'll appeal to the older segment; you and me who are still 16 at heart if not in muscle tone.  They are wrong, and I say that based on your feeling for the ads and on my own feelings about the ads...they have alienated a large part of the very market segment they were attempting to attract AS BUYERS (not as lusters).

  I work with mostly 30-55 year olds.  I have yet to hear a single person use the word "fast", in the VW ad context, in conversation.  Probably never will.

Larry
sandiego16v

  VW doesn't give a shit if you or I buy a new GTI or