electrical issues

I know there's autozone around here somewhere, as I see the commercials on
TV but haven't seen one locally.  The FLAPS I was talking about is Advance
Auto.  Anyway, I digress...

Patrick IM'd me with an great offer of assistance and while we were
chatting, it hit me:  I've got a freaking 90a alt sitting on the garage
floor.  Bought it from Brian Page for $5 about a year ago.  Didn't know when
I bought it that it wouldn't fit (8v vs 16v) so it's been sitting.  Went a
grabbed it.  Checked out the regulator.  Same part #.  And it had two, yes
TWO, brushes, the shortest one being even longer than the one on the bad
regulator.  So I popped it in my alt in the car.  Battery had been charging
for 3 hours.  Started right up.  :D  I am now being serenaded by the throaty
sound of my holey exhaust while I type this inside the house.

Gonna go for a wee drive.  :)

Also, must remember to order another regulator (as this one won't last too
long) as well as bearings for the rear wheels.

One last thing:  earlier I mentioned that I only found one brush on the bad
regulator.  When putting the spare one in, it wouldn't fit proprely, so I
took it out again and looked inside the alt with the work light.  Found
brush #2 sitting in there.  Pulled it out and off I went.

Thanks again, list.  I am once again in your collective debt.

--
Mike
'86 red 16v (der Jahrtausendfeierfalke)