stripped wiper shafts and solutions?

Phil Boeye wrote:
> --- David Utley <fahrvergnugen@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Take off the nut, take off the arm, clean off the
>> metal from the arm on
>> the pivot axle with a pick so's you can see the
>> knurling, reinstall, and
>> put another washer under the nut.  Voila, fixED...
>>

> No man, I mean the stud on the shaft and the wiper
> bushing itself are as smooth as a baby's ass, as my
> father would put it.  Ain't no more knurling to be
> found *anywhere*.
>
> S'ok - I am just gonna grab something off an old A2 in
> my local yard.  I believe it's all the same stuff.

At the risk of being irritating, let me make sure I make sense...
Material can come off the wiper arm and embed itself on the knurling, to
make it look like the knurling is gone.  In what I have seen, the
material on the wipers is much softer than the wiper shafts...

You might take a pick to it and see if some of it comes off, revealing
the knurling...  If it doesn't, then you are no worse-off...

David