stripped wiper shafts and solutions?

It's been my experience that the splines haven't stripped but instead filled with aluminum from
the wiper arm.  Several times I scrapes the splines clean with an exact knife or dental pick and
they were OK.  The damage had occurred on the wiper side and had bored out the cone letting things
get loose.  May be good news for you; I reckon it's worth checking out...

Ron