Mk1 transmission removal AGONY!

Some good replies on this here.  Yeah, it's a pain.  In the 40 minutes it
took me to pull the tranny (the second time) 20 minutes of that was spent
on those damn bolts.  Like someone else has said, like 20 extentions works
great, as it really helps to have the tool square in the bolt. (and it
saves your back when you can sit out from under the car and wrench) It's
hard, because for me, the CV boot was "covering" the bolt heads and I had
to pry it away to get the tool in there.  Once it's square and seated,
it's ok.   I remember trying it a few times the first time with just one
extention from under the car but I could not get it square enough and it
just popped out.  (and popped my knuckles too)  Yeah, those bolts are hard
and cutting them without air tools makes for a long day.  (as well as
trying to do it upside-down under the car)  FWIW, I do not think it is
possible to pull the tranny with the axles on.

Good luck, remember to cuss a lot, it helps.  :P

Brendan