Mars Gets An Antique Registration

-----Original Message-----
From: Spewey [mailto:spewey@comcast.net]

Delaware PROCEDURES FOR DELAWARE RESIDENTS FOR ANTIQUE VEHICLES:

I know this, and I don't drive Mars everyday, and I don't have to commute,
so all my cars are for pleasure.
I can drive the Scirocco as much as I want, if it's for pleasure and not
transportation. I talked to the girl in charge of the New Castle DMV and she
has a VW bug with an Antique tag, said that you can go for drives, they just
don't want people commuting w/Antique tags.
...And even if I were to, it's almost impossible to get a ticket for it.

In addition, you are probably afoul of this clause;
/A vehicle, which has undergone substantial alterations from its original
specifications and appearance, or has had its horsepower or dimensions
changed, shall not be eligible for an antique license plate pursuant to this
section./

C'mon, I've been researching this for a couple of years now...
I'm not planning of any "SUBSTANTIAL alterations from its original
specifications AND APPEARANCE"
Keywords are Substantial Alterations
It passed with 15" Ronal Turboes, and the only appearance modification will
be the rear Kamei spoiler, that Mk1 Mark hooked me up with. I could see how
a turbo might be a problem, but not with a regular VW engine, like a PL or
9A.
If I kept it an 8V, say a 2L 3A, there's no way, that anyone would ever
know...

That's only for the "Antique" inspection and Mars still HAD a 74hp 1.7L
engine. ;)

That's also what Minnesota's law looks like:
/Vehicles registered in any of the collector classes are restricted to
operation solely as a collector item. These vehicles cannot be used for
general transportation purposes.  At the time of application, the owners
must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular
Minnesota license plates./

Delaware doesn't have a restriction like that, and my '79 Scirocco is
ineligible for an Antigua tag, so I'll always have another car for daily
driving, and will not be committing .

Peter