Mars Gets An Antique Registration

Peter wrote:
> I invite everyone to look into getting a special tag for their Scirocco,
> because they're cool, and they usually don't have any expiration of the
> registration sticker/tag, and no more inspections, EVER.
>
> In 2008, I'm going to register the '83 Rabbit GTI 3A, the '83 Rabbit
> GTI-Caged Rabbit, and my '83 Pickup, as "Antiques". Then New Castle county
> can't say $hit about any of my cars. :)

Well, yes they can if you drive them regularly because according to
Delaware law Title 21, Section 2196c PROCEDURES FOR DELAWARE RESIDENTS
FOR ANTIQUE VEHICLES:

/Any antique motor vehicle, registered pursuant to this section, shall
be used only for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours,
parades and similar uses, but in no event shall it be used for general
transportation./

In addition, you are probably afoul of this clause;

/A vehicle, which has undergone substantial alterations from its
original specifications and appearance, or has had its horsepower or
dimensions changed, shall not be eligible for an antique license plate
pursuant to this section./

source:
http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/vehicle_services/titles/ve_title_antique.shtml

That's also what Minnesota's law looks like:

/Vehicles registered in any of the collector classes are restricted to
operation solely as a collector item. These vehicles cannot be used for
general transportation purposes.  At the time of application, the owners
must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular
Minnesota license plates./

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/PlBrochure/Collector.htm

And that's why I won't be getting them even though both my DDs are
eligible.  It is against the law and you can be found guilty of perjury:

/Any false statement willfully and knowingly made in regard thereto
shall be deemed perjury and punished accordingly./

YMMV, check the laws in your jurisdiction before going nuts.  I just got
new plates for my 86 Audi 5K, $35 for tabs, $5 fees, and $5 extra this
year because I needed to buy actual new plates with a new number.  (I
spent more to fill the tank on the way)  Every 7 years we have to
replace them for wear I guess.  I am proud to be on my fourth set and as
much as I would like to have free ones that say COLLECTOR, I can abide
the law for that minor fee.  Luckily emissions testing is history here.