Oil companies/ Oh Canada

I'm hot and bored so I decided to look up info about Canada.

Though the US imports about twice as much as it produces to meet demand,
Canada exports more of its domestic production than it consumes and then
imports oil from the North Sea (lands of bad teeth and lutefisk) and
Middle East (Ministry of Flogging Gays).  This is done because it's
cheaper to supply Quebec and Ontario from abroad than pipe it from
Edmonton.  Nice maps:
http://www2.nrcan.gc.ca/es/ener2000/online/html/chap3a_e.cfm

"If Canada produces more oil than it uses, why can't it set a "Made in
Canada" price?"
http://www.oppi-bipp.gc.ca/faq/faq4_e.cfm

What else is different?  The taxes:
http://www.oppi-bipp.gc.ca/faq/faq3_e.cfm

This page has more detail about the balance between provinces and shows
that overall the situation is similar to the US albeit with less
population and more territory.  Refinery output is maxed out and ULSD
laws mean those big chemistry sets need to be retooled carefully aka
"further complications to an already delicate market."
http://www.oppi-bipp.gc.ca/reports/2006-04/supply_demand_e.cfm

Other fun facts:

Can gal:US gal is 1.2:1 so Cathy's 40 mpg is 33 down here.  But how did
she compute this if she was buying US gallons?

Today I am wearing my Canada shirt.  I love it because it has worn so
thin that it is great in hot weather.  It's a grey t-shirt with an
embroidered official leaf/name logo that I got 10 years ago when I had
to fix a Chevy van on a Sunday.  A friend was putting up a woman who had
just arrived from the East Coast and her fuel pump broke.  I usually
avoid American cars but she needed a favor.

Those vans have a stubby hood and a doghouse inside to work on the
engine but the fuel pump is right in between on top.  When I pulled it
off, nasty gas ran down my armpit and ruined my shirt.  I don't like to
get dirty at all but this was awful.

My friend wears a lot of t-shirts punk, ska, indie, scooter, that kind
of thing but he loaned me one he would never wear, the Canada shirt.  I
finished the job clean and he said keep it.  I figured I could use it to
work on cars again later and I did but magically it never got grease
dirty.  It's my favorite shirt and I don't open beer with it so it
doesn't rip at the bottom anymore.